Friday, April 02, 2010

Easter Tradition


My grandfather is Ukranian, so when he married my grandmother she was determined to master the art of perogies, cabbage rolls, borstch, and every Easter.... Pysanky (Ukranian Eggs). It was a wonderful tradition. We'd all be gathered around the kithen table while my grandfather watched, his eyes twinkling and he'd laugh as he called me his little kushka (chicken)... My grandmother always had all the supplies laid out for us and encouraged everyone to experiment with different designs. She, and my Aunt Nicki, always made the best pysanky in my opinion. They had the patience for the intricate details, a character trait I wish I'd inherited from them.

The above photo is from our cross Canada trek in the summer 2008. We stopped in Vegreville, Alberta. This giant pysanky is a roadside attraction there that we just had to stop and admire. It was created back in 1974 to commemmerate the 100th Anniversary of the RCMP. The design represents harmony, vitality and culture.

No comments: